Okay, I decided not to make lists of resolutions. That way, I'm never disappointed with anything I wasn't able to accomplish. I figure it's better to make daily resolutions, perhaps only 1 per day. It feels a lot more manageable, and that way, whatever I thought I needed to do in January doesn't get forgotten by May. So far, I'm not missing that lengthy list of resolutions.... The few things I have in my head as "to do's" are enough to irritate me.
On the other hand, I started making mental, and now written, lists of other things. For example, I was baking cookies and thought to myself, "I love parchment paper." How did I ever bake without it? I don't have to wash as many cookie sheets, moving cookies from pan to cooling rack is a cinch, and I can efficiently line up my next batch. So worth the $3 it costs for a roll! So, here are some other things I really like - decided "can't live without" was too strong:
- Electric blanket: we use it just to warm up our bed before we get in it at night, so we're not squirming around trying to warm it up. I know. You can hardly call an Arizona winter a winter, but it's still cold under the sheets.
- Caller ID: it saves me A LOT of time by letting me avoid conversations with people I don't want to talk to - any organization looking for donations, salespeople, wrong numbers, surveyors, people who like to talk on and on and on, and anyone else I may be avoiding at the time.
- Electronic statements and automatic bill pay: despite the fact that we pay almost all of our bills online and automatically, AND receive statements electronically, our mailbox has stuff in it every day. Storage is already a big problem in our house - thank heavens I don't have to file any more paper than I already have!
- Compounding of interest on investments: it's unfortunate I didn't watch my investments in my retirement portfolios more carefully, what with all those statements arriving in my email box monthly (see above).... I've had to sit on my hands to keep myself from taking all my money out and locking in my losses.
- Disposable diapers and baby wipes: I don't think I need to elaborate on this at all. We use baby wipes for just about everything that requires water and/or soap - how did I get by before the baby came along?
- Paper plates and cups: I used to tease Curtis about using paper products so much when he was a bachelor. In fact, after we were married, we rarely ever used them because we had nice dishes and glasses from wedding gifts. After two years of that, I don't care much anymore what we eat on. Fewer dishes to do, better.
- Cell phones: how would Curtis and I decide what movie we would watch on Friday nights without a cell phone when I'm home and he's at Blockbuster? Or find each other at the mall or the gym? Or multitask?
- Clear braces: I have been fitted with Invisalign braces to straighten my teeth. My teeth look and feel so much better (although I'm not quite finished yet). They're expensive, but then again, I didn't have to make much of a compromise to wear them, and most people never even noticed I had them.
I'm sure I will be adding to this list over time....
1 comment:
Just a few comments on your last several posts: I'm glad that you responded to my "tag!" I learned stuff about you guys! Also, if you want me to come to Italy with you to show you around, you know, order the bus tickets, relate some history, I'm totally IN! :) Just keep that in mind. Lastly, Emma is soooo cute and I love the pictures.
Post a Comment